Dear Gin,
My boyfriend quit drinking recently--I am very, very proud of him! However, I find myself wanting to have a glass of wine or even a cocktail from time to time. But I feel that drinking in front of him may be selfish. I'm not one to go out to bars or anything. Should I just wait until he goes to work and slam a couple back?
Sincerly,
"Needs a Drink."
Dearest Needs a Drink,
First, you know Gin is never going to agree with going along with a man if it means diluting yourself down or going without, yourself--no matta' what. I mean honestly, you start giving too much and the next thing you know, you are a non-smiling Scientologist, believing in spaceships and aliens with a bratty robotic toddler who wears high heels and lipstick. I don't know about you, but that's just Crazy with a capital C. And honey, if Tom Cruise isn't worth it, neither is the nebbish you are dating.
But you say your boyfriend makes you proud. How proud? Like he used to be kinda Crazy with a capital C, and now he's just regular and average? Or is he really something special? Does he buy you no fewer than 12 roses at a time for no reason? Or is he more of a single carnation smothered in baby's breath, bought from the gas station kinda guy, after he "really messed up?" Does he laugh at your jokes with a hearty laugh from the belly and a twinkle in his gorgeous green eyes? Or stare blankly while cricket sounds play in his head and cracking his knuckles? Does he let you have time for your friends and hobbies? Or does he make you bring him and his friends O'Doul's while watching the game...or worse yet...*whispers*...that sport about cars?
If he is more like the first choices I listed, well, I'd say maybe not indulge in a dirty martini while making sweet love. Have one after. But if he's more like the second options, you need to remember: a girl should have confetti in her hair and a cocktail in her hand.
Cheers,
Gin
No comments:
Post a Comment