Saturday, January 28, 2012

Eat and be Merry!

Dear Gin,
I am writing to you in regards to the event that has changed my life drastically over the last few months. It is hard for me to put into words what it is like to be brought up and raised to believe one thing, and then to be bombarded with harsh words later on in life, as a young and educated adult when you find out that everything you believed to be true is not. So I ask you, Gin, to please help me as I struggle to find answers. Please Gin, and fellow readers, tell me what the proper pronunciation of CAULIFLOUR is, as many fellow foodies, friends, have informed me that it is actually pronounced CAUL-EEEEE-FLOWER instead of CAUL-FLOWER. We do not say CALYfornia when referring to the state, we do not say FLOREYDA, when referring to my home land, well, unless you are from Jersey, in which case, you don't count. Is it true, that we, as mid-western Americans have been led to believe that we are the only ones who pronounce this color-less vegetable correctly, and that the rest of the world gets far too excited about the vegetable that will never be as beautiful or delicious as broccoli?

Thanks for your help,
Hungry for Cheesy Cauliflour, But Scared to Mis-Pronounce

Dearest Hungry for Cheesy Cauliflour, But Scared to Mis-Pronounce,
I am going to tell you two things I love about myself--I am a foodie and I have an an accent. Or in my own dialect, "Eye'm a feudie, and I hahy-ve an aaack-cent." I think both are quite beautiful things. I like fine foods, and I couldn't care less that my Midwestern/sometimes Northern accent, isn't the most desirable. My point is this, tah-may-toe, tah-mahh-toe--say what you want, and most importantly continue to be a foodie, and hang out with foodie friends even if they have a tendency to be pretentious and correct your English. People who know food are better than the rest of the world--certainly people from New Jersey, but also leaps and bounds better than people who eat Kraft singles and savor The Olive Garden. And don't give two thoughts to being lead down a tangle web of lies. I grew up on microwavable frozen Schwann's food, Speghetti-O's as a side dish to everything, raw meat, and the belief that I was allergic to chocolate. And now I grocery shop 78 times a week for the best ingredients available, never dine out at a chain, and indulge in chocolate no fewer than 89 times a day. Did I also mention I am a size 2? Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure.

Cheers,
Gin

No comments:

Post a Comment